English - Higher
16 weeks in duration and consists of 12 assignments
(Approximate Self Study Time 4 hours per week.)
Our courses are designed for students who need an equivalent examination at GCSE level.
Is this for you?
People who use Equivalent Testing want to further their career in some of the following professions: Teaching, Nursing, Paramedics, etc or just to move on to higher education.
An assignment booklet and revision guide is given with each course.
If you decide to enrol on a course you will be designated a specialist tutor who will mark your work and give constructive feedback where necessary.
You can contact your tutor via email.
This course and examination is based on the same format as AQA.
The Higher Level English examination is 2 hours in duration.
There are three sections to the examination and you should spend no more the forty minutes on each section
The approximate number of marks for each paper is 55.
45 marks for the written content and 10 marks for grammar, punctuation and spelling.
To gain a Grade 4 pass, (55% to 64%) you need to get 77 to 89 marks. (C)
To gain a Grade 5 pass, (65% to 74%) you need to get 91 to 104 marks. (C)
To gain a Grade 6 pass, (75% to 84%) you need to get 105 to 118 marks. (B)
To gain a Grade 7 pass, (85% to 100%) you need to get 119 to 140 marks. (A)
Going to University? Check our list of which establishments accept our qualification before signing on to a course.
Topics covered in this unit:
- Use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- Sentence construction.
- Correct use of paragraphs.
- Apply a wide range of vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding.
- Read a range of texts with good understanding
- Write Effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately.
- Reading text in order to consider how established writers use narrative and descriptive techniques to capture the interest of readers.
- Explain, comment and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers.
- Compare writer’s ideas and perspectives as well as how they are conveyed, across two or more texts.
- Compare and contrast two texts in order to consider how each represents a perspective or viewpoint to influence the reader.
- Produce a written text to a specific audience in order to inform or advise.
- Understand selected poems.
- Clearly understand the meaning of the poems selected.
- Identify and interpret explicit and implicit information and ideas.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, selecting and adapting tone and style.
- Evaluate texts critically and support this with appropriate textual references.
- Use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect.
There are no prerequisites for starting this course, however a reasonable level of proficiency in arithmetical skills is assumed.
Please note: We cannot accept students who are under 18 years old on this course.
When can I take the exam?
New dates and times for all exams are updated regularly, check back to see new dates and times and venues.
Coursework only (£320.00)
Choose this option to study any of our topics.
This course will be followed by an examination.
ONLY COMPLETE THIS ONLINE APPLICATION FORM IF YOU WANT TO SIGN UP FOR A COURSE.
Examination only (£150.00)
Choose this option if you have already completed the course. You can choose this option if you want to sit an examination.
ONLY COMPLETE THIS ONLINE APPLICATION FORM IF YOU WANT TO SIGN UP FOR AN EXAMINATION.
Please bring to the exam a passport or driving licence otherwise you may not be able to sit the exam.
We cannot accept students who are under 18 years old on any course.
You can sit the examination more than once, but if you fail, full feedback is sent to you, and this should be studied before sitting another examination. Every time you sit an examination you have to pay the full price.
Results are produced within 7 working days.
You can sit an examination at one of our designated places or an examination paper could be sent to the school you are currently working in. This is only with the agreement of the Head or Deputy Head Teacher or equivalent.
An exam only has a £30 deposit, and the rest is payable on the day. The deposit is non-refundable.
All courses must be paid in full. No monthly terms or part payments.
Yes! All examinations are paper based and are of 2 hour duration. Higher Maths is 2.5 hours.
As with all examination boards we take into account for people that may need more time to complete an examination.